I stuck with Epic Mickey until the end and all the time a voice in my head kept repeating “You do know Portal 2 is out now?”. It’s such a shame Epic Mickey doesn’t quite work becuase it has such good potential to be a great game:
- Great use of a licence
- Wonderful engaging and emotional story
- It looks fantastic, especially the 2D sections – I’d have been happy if the whole game had been a 2D platformer
- It’s too long, or more importantly, too repetitive.
- There’s a lack of structure so you’re never quite sure what you should be doing next
- It isn’t clear when you will or will not be able to revisit an area
- Unlocking content was a huge incentive to keep going but
- There are only two cartoons available – where else can you see early Disney shorts?
- The artwork would not display for me (presumably a bug)
- The paint/thinner good/evil decisions never really made sense or have any significant impact
- All your painting is undone when you leave an area, it should have been like de Blob and reward you for painting everything
- The special items are lazily introduced, never really explained and then hardly used
- The biggest complaint in reviews seemed to be the awkward camera and controls but these rarely bothered me.